Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fun with fiber!

Long time no post.  Life keeps getting in the way of my hobbies.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  This weekend has been a fun fibery one!  A new spindle arrived, that I'm planning to use to spin some lovely lama down, you can see them here .  It's called the colt, so being horse related, I figured it was for me. 

In addition, my family and I enjoyed some Easter egg dying.  In the spirit of frugality, we used the extra dye to paint up some wool.  I layed it out in waves in an old pyrex baking dish.  My kids took turns squirting it with the leftover dye.  It looked like this when all the dye was used up:

Next, I popped it in the oven and baked it at 200 degrees for about 2 hours.  I've seen this referred to on Facebook as a spinner's dinner.  I wouldn't recommend consumption, but it sure looked yummy!

After dyeing, rinsing, and drying, I braided it up and it looks SWEET!

The colors are somewhat muted but truly lovely.  I think this will make a fantastic yarn.  I'm going to crochet it up into an Easter bunny before next year.

In addition, today I paid a visit to a local alpaca farm.  I came away with fleece, of course.  I'm not really sure where I'm going to put it while I work through my stash, but it is soooo soft I want to lay down on it and go to sleep.  First batch is washing as I speak! 

I hope you have a terrific Easter or Passover as your beliefs dictate, or a terrific day if your beliefs dictate neither!


No comments:

Post a Comment